Aug 12, 2020
U16 to Open Regatta – Saturday, August 15
The next U16+ older regatta is coming up this week. Go Banook Go!
Just a reminder that Banook, Senobe, and Mic Mac members are allowed to be at their own clubs during regattas.
Please ensure your paddler arrives at the club 60-90 minutes prior to their first race. They should check in with their coach upon arrival.
The draft draw has been posted and can be found at the following links. Please note this is draft only and may change – please keep an eye for updated postings on the ADCKC schedule page.
ADCKC Schedule page
U16-Open Draft Draw
As previously communicated this week, only members will be able to access Banook Canoe Club – regrettably we cannot welcome others to Banook unless they are registered members. Parents who are not members cannot be permitted access. Gate attendants will be monitoring access/ checking members.
Other non-member spectators/ parents may watch from the seawall area on Prince Albert Road or from Silvers Hill but are not permitted at Banook or the Oakwood Park area (near ADCKC).
Reminders for regatta day:
- The club will essentially be divided into 2 areas for regattas.
- Members parents will set up in the squares on the grass – ensuring to maintain the required 2 metres/ 6 feet distance.
- Parents can go up on the upper deck only to watch your child’s race. (Using the stairs from the grass area to the deck).
- Please also ensure to maintain 6 feet distancing on the deck (the picnic tables are each 6 feet apart).
- After your child’s race, please return to your square on the grass, following the arrows for the stairs.
- Parents who are members will be permitted to use the washrooms in the hall only.
- ONLY paddlers and coaches will be allowed on the lower/ dock area.
- No parents are permitted on the dock level.
- Paddlers and coaches will use the washrooms/ changerooms in the newer side of the club.
- Also remember PFD, hat and sunscreen.
- Please ensure to pack extra snacks, lunch and plenty of water as the regatta is scheduled 9:00 am – 3:05 pm.
- Athletes should race in a Banook singlet. Banook singlets and shirts are available for purchase in the Banook office.
Go Banook Go!
Other upcoming regattas
There will be lots of fun over the next few weeks for our paddlers! The following regattas are coming up:
- August 18th – U10
- August 21st to 23rd – U12/ U14 Champs
- August 28th to 29th – Atlantic Championships and CKC Coast to Coast to Coast: U16 to Open
Wet Bulb Globe Temperature
You may have been wondering how the decision to cancel the U10 regattas has been made. ADCKC uses a Wet Bulb Globe thermometer. This thermometer measures differently than a standard thermometer. Wet Bulb Glob Temperature (WBGT) is a measure of heat stress in direct sunlight, which takes into account: temperature, humidity, wind speed, sun angle and cloud cover. This metric is a better indicator of heat stress during exercise than just temperature and humidex. When the WBGT shows 31°C or above, ADCKC will postpone/ cancel competition and Banook will modify programming.
Good Neighbours – parking along Banook Ave.
Banook members, please be mindful of the homes along Banook Avenue. Do not park in front of driveways and please respect the No Parking signs. Cars can be ticketed/ towed if not in approved parking areas. A reminder that if the Banook parking lot is full, parking is available at the end of Nowlan Street.
We are still following COVID19 distancing protocols – everyone please remember the requirements of 6 feet/ 2 metre distancing – especially inside Banook – parents also please remind your children.
Recently members have been forgetting to throw litter in the garbage bins. There are a number of bins placed inside and around the club. Please do not leave your garbage on the floor/ ground.
Just a reminder that we require masks when inside the Banook building
Banook Clothing for sale
There is limited Banook clothing for sale – please see Jett in the office.
We could really use your help with some minor work around the club. Please send an email to email@example.com if you have a few hours to spare. Jett will put you in touch with our regulars to help with some painting and minor repairs.
Wait… fall paddling? – Didn’t summer just start? We know it is hard to believe, but we are diligently working on plans for fall training and registrations – keep an eye out for further details soon!
September brings our Annual General Meeting – your volunteer board is busy planning the date, but this is a little heads up to our members that we hope you will start thinking about joining us. Board elections happen every year at the AGM and we would love some new Board Members. Please consider this the first call for nominations.
The details of the AGM, Board positions and elections are outlined in the Banook Bylaws – if you are interested in finding our more, please take a look at this link – or reach out to any current Board Member. Further details to follow in an upcoming newsletter.
Hint of things to come… End-of-Season celebration
We know that COVID19 has changed the way we do things around here, but rest assured we are working on a plan for our annual celebration. It will look different from previous years and we are still working out the details…
Just a reminder that if anyone in your house is feeling sick (with any illness), has any symptoms of COVID19 (call 811 for information), has travelled outside the Atlantic bubble in the past 14 days (if you have travelled, you are required to self-isolate for 14 days), or has come in contact with someone with COVID19, you must please stay at home and not visit Banook Canoe Club. If anyone in your household tests positive for COVID19, please advise Banook immediately via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.