It has been awhile since we have updated our members – but there has been LOTS going on – read on and see what we have been up to!
In late October, two of Banook’s high-performance athletes spent two weeks in Berlin at a fall training camp. Ian Gaudet and Cole Parsons were part of a small group of ADCKC Team Atlantic athletes selected for this camp. Germany is considered the gold standard in canoe kayak competition. Ian and Cole and the rest of Team Atlantic had the amazing opportunity to train alongside some high-performance German athletes, learning tips from German coaches, seeing the German techniques and experiencing new ways to execute training. While in Berlin, the ADCKC athletes experienced some intense training and were also expected keep up with their school work. They visited the school in Berlin where all the athletes that they were training with attend. It is an elite sport school and the Canadians were fascinated to learn that the athletes live together in the dorm, that training and competition is treated as credit toward their schooling and that it is all funded by the German government! Team Atlantic had the chance to do a bit of sightseeing during their downtime and were also guests of the Sport Club Berlin Grunau during their Awards Night and their 50th Anniversary celebration. Welcome home!
Banook’s Christmas Tree Lot
It’s time to start thinking about your Christmas tree! The Banook Canoe Club Annual Tree and Wreath Sale is almost here!
Our lot will be open from 10am to 5pm on the following days:
- December 7 & 8
- December 14 & 15
Note: the lot will close early if we sell out of trees
And don’t forget… free delivery in Dartmouth!
There has been a lot of exciting work happening at the club over the past 2 months including:
- New flooring in the bar area and new bar fridge installed
- New accessible ramps installed in the hall
- New exterior wall on the beach side of the club
- New heat pump installed on the hall side (woohoo!)
- Electrical room installed and electrical work completed
- Furnace removed
- Oil tank removed and sold
- Still to come:
- New doors on the hall side
- Repairs to the lifeguard room interior
Spring Training Camp – Planning
After much research and exploring of options, 12 Banook athletes will be heading to Cape Coral, FL in March for a 3-week spring training camp. We have secured 2 houses and are putting plans in place for chaperone support. Emily, our Paddling Director is working with a dietitian on meal-planning and head coach Toshko is developing the training plan!
Plaques are back!
Our very sincere thank you to the Alumni Committee who have taken on the project of re-hanging some of the very special plaques won by Banook athletes over the years. Stop by and have a look at the staircase and drop in to the Senior Room to see some of the oldest plaques hung in places of honour. Also, a few of our burgee flags have been hung in the gym!
ADCKC Awards Night
The Atlantic Division Canoe Kayak Canada recently held its annual Awards Night. Banook had top-3 finalists in numerous categories including:
- Olivia Murphy – U12 Women Kayak
- Brenda Canning – U14 Men Canoe
- Ivy Murphy – U14 Women Kayak
- Faith Anderson – U14 Women Canoe
- Ian Gaudet and Cole Parsons – U16 Men Kayak
- Raine Myers and Emily Parsons – U16 Women Kayak
- Jack Hall and Liam Ring – U18 Men Kayak
- Alex Canning – Open Men Kayak
- Trevor MacLean – Masters Men
And congratulations to our 3 Banook winners of top athlete awards:
- Ian Gaudet – Top Male Athlete U16 Kayak
- Faith Anderson – Top Female Athlete U14 Canoe
- Emily Parsons – Top Female Athlete U16 Kayak