SATURDAY, APRIL 28, 2018
10:00AM TO 1:00PM
Come join us this Saturday from 10am to 1pm during our spring OPEN HOUSE.
We invite you to tour our facility, renew your membership and register for our summer programs. We’ll have our gym open too so the kids can play while you register!
New members always welcome!
Banook Canoe Club summer clothing will also be available for purchase! Our year ‘officially’ starts on May 1, so register soon before programs get booked up!
Can’t make it this Saturday? Join us next time… May 26 and June 16 (10am – 1pm)
Around the Club
Wow, the warm Spring weather is finally starting to arrive and it’s an exciting time at the Banook Canoe Club these days! Our Spring Training Program is in full swing, with almost 40 athletes training indoors and out – Coach Toshko has his hands full!
Our club membership continues to grow each day, and that’s a testament to our history of being a top-notch family facility that can cater to so many interests – there’s room for everyone at the club, and that includes both recreational and competitive paddlers.
The number of our facility bookings increases every day – it’s amazing how many wedding couples choose our Club to exchange their wedding vows in, and there are also many receptions, birthday and anniversary parties, business events, and so on.
We’re in the midst of hiring lifeguards, coaches, our Camp staff, and a few other staff and I want to let you know that we have a VERY impressive group of applicants.
The facility is getting a few improvements this Spring, most notably two new docks to replace two older and failing docks – these new docks are better constructed, are lower to the water for ease of entry into boats, and the best thing is that they will not likely ever need to be replaced!
Some items to keep in mind
- Masters paddlers will be getting together soon for spring cleaning of our kitchen and our trophy case – volunteer credits and pizza are involved, so stay tuned for a date to be announced!
- We have a wonderful volunteer crew that do fantastic work to keep all our boats in top shape, and they do this year-round! So thank you to this unsung group of Banook supporters. Recently, they mentioned that would love to get their hands on a donated drill press, which would be VERY handy item to have in our repair bay. Let us know if you can help.
Paddling Committee Updates
Canoe Polo Program
• The club has secured coaching
• Two evenings each week for the general public
• Friday afternoons for the U14 and younger
Learn to Paddle Program
• It will be a 6 week program offered twice in the summer and focus on dragon boat and kayak.
• We are still looking for a coach for this program.
Boat Equipment Purchase
• We received partial funding for the purchase of two stable boats. The paddling committee is investigating options.
• A new grant application will be submitted April 15 for new program equipment.
• With the PANAM Championships there is the opportunity to get boats at a discounted price after the competition through a grant submitted by ADCKC.
Volunteers Needed! – Dock Installation
Earn your volunteer credits early this year by help us install the docks this Sunday (April 29) at noon after the athletes have finished practice (weather permitting). We need 20 volunteers!
Swim Chair Report
- Our swim team program continues to be a success!
- There will be no swim practice on May 20th due to a swim meet. Alternate times were offered, but we opted to cancel. because of the Bluenose Marathon. Many of our swimmers will be participating in the run; encouraged all to participate.
- Summer hiring is on-going. A head guard has been hired. Still looking for applicants for the lifeguard positions.
- There will be no summer swim team, due to Sportsplex being closed. We will resume the team next summer.
Finding lifeguards is proving to be more challenging this year. We’ve had fewer applicants this year compared to years past, and those I’ve offered to have declined because they’ve accepted other work. I’ve resent the posting to Swim NS, Dartmouth Crusaders, NSLS, and the Aquatics Supervisor at Sportsplex. If anyone members knows people who are qualified to guard or instruct, please ask them to apply! http://banookcanoeclub.com/about-us/employment-opportunities/
Registration for our spring and summer programming is now open!
- 2018/19 Annual Memberships – this includes sign up for summer paddling programs, adult programs, member day camps for ages 7-12 years old, swimming lessons, members adult learn to paddle program,
- Banook Youth Training for ages 12 to 19 from April 1 to June 30.
- Non Member Adult Learn to Paddle, and NEW – Canoe Polo ages 15+!
- Non Member Weekly Summer Camps
Donate it to the Banook Canoe Club’s 4th Annual Yard and Plant Sale.
When: Saturday May 26th 8 am – noon. NEW DATE
Where: Corner of Prince Albert Road and Sinclair Street, Dartmouth
Ideas for Donations and popular yard sale items:
• Sports and camping equipment
• Tools and gardening equipment
• Electronics (No old Computers/printers please)
• Kitchen items/Houseware and office supplies
• Artwork/picture frames, lamps, rugs, Christmas decorations
• For the plant sale – any perennial flower, vegetables, small shrubs
Please contact email@example.com to arrange a time to drop off items.